Xerostomia Treatment Pdf
Saliva plays a critical role in the preservation of oropharyngeal health and persistent dry mouth and salivary dysfunction can impair a person s quality of life.
Xerostomia treatment pdf. Reduce the dose or change the drug if possible. Dentures may also need to be relined or refit after treatment due to changes in weight. State of knowledge on management and treatment of patients affected by xerostomia and or hyposalivation.
However if the underlying medical condition causing the dry mouth cannot be changed treatment will focus on ways to increase saliva flow. Change medications that cause dry mouth. Your doctor or dentist may.
Xerostomia is a common complaint among older adults and according to a study 30 percent of. Xerostomia is defined as the subjective complaint of dry mouth 1 interestingly patients complaining of xerostomia frequently do not show any objective sign of hyposalivation and their symptoms may be secondary to qualitative and or quantitative changes in the composition of saliva 2 3 the normal stimulated salivary flow rate averages 1 5 2 0 ml min while the unstimulated. Many drugs including antihistamines antidepressants blood pressure medications and opioid analgesics are known to cause xerostomia.
Drugs are a common cause of dry mouth. Patients with dry mouth exhibit symptoms of variable severity that are commonly attributed to medication use chronic disease and medical treatment such as radiotherapy to the head and neck region. Diagnosis and treatment of xerostomia dry mouth article literature review pdf available in odontology 97 2 76 83 august 2009 with 4 014 reads how we measure reads.
Chronic xerostomia significantly increases the risk of experiencing dental caries. If your doctor believes medication to be the cause he or she may adjust your dosage or switch you to another medication that doesn t cause a dry mouth. Nutrition reduce severity of xerostomia and prevent minimize oral complications ensure dentures and other appliances fit well prior to treatment.
Recommend products to moisturize your mouth. It may be recommended to remove dentures for part or all of treatment. Xerostomia is defined as dry mouth resulting from reduced or absent salivary flow.
- Keloid Scar Treatment Reddit
- Kawasaki Disease Post Treatment
- Keloid Scar Tissue Treatment
- Keloid Scar Treatment Essential Oil
- Kawasaki Disease Treatment Emedicine
- Keloid Scar After Laser Treatment
- Kawasaki Disease Treatment In Homeopathy
- Kawasaki Disease Aneurysm Treatment
- Kawasaki Disease Dental Treatment
- Keloid Scar Treatment Injection
- Kawasaki Disease Fever After Treatment
- Keloid Scar Treatment Home Remedies
- Keloid Scar Treatment In Chennai
- Keloid Scar Treatment Boots
- Kawasaki Disease Treatment Pdf
- Keloid Scar Treatment Emedicine
- Kawasaki Disease Treatment In Hindi
- Kawasaki Disease Treatment Up To Date
- Kawasaki Disease Coronary Aneurysm Treatment
- Keloid Scar Best Treatment